Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

Since 2015, the Express Entry system has managed applications for the Federal Skilled Worker Program. The Federal Skilled Worker Program, also called the Federal Skilled Worker Class, is Canada’s main way for workers to move to the country. It lets thousands of new people come to Canada each year if they can find work here.

What is Express Entry?

Express Entry is a system by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that invites people who want to become permanent residents of Canada. To get invited, people first express their interest in moving to Canada by filling out an online profile. Then, they are put into a pool with other candidates and ranked based on their information. The pool includes people from different programs like the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Canadian Experience Class, and Federal Skilled Trades Class. IRCC then selects candidates from this pool to apply for permanent residence during special draws. For those in the Federal Skilled Worker Program, there are some advantages and possibly a disadvantage when applying through Express Entry.

Benefits of federal skilled workers:

People who want to immigrate to Canada through the Federal Skilled Worker Class don’t need to have any ties to Canada. They can fulfill the necessary work experience, language skills, and education requirements even if they live outside of Canada. This program is great for those who live abroad. In 2018, more than half of all invitations to apply were given to Federal Skilled Worker Class candidates, showing that they have a higher chance of being invited compared to other immigration programs.

Possible problem:

Even if you can apply for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you might not get invited. If your CRS score is too low, check our guide on boosting it.

Documents require for Federal skilled workers:

  • ID and travel papers
  • Proof of language skills
  • Education and work papers
  • Proof of funds
  • Proof of family in Canada
  • Job offer
  • Police and health certificates

Eligibility for Federal Skilled Worker:

To qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program and create an Express Entry profile, you need to meet these basic requirements:

  • Work Experience: You must have at least one year of full-time skilled work experience in one job. The work should be in a job category listed as National Occupation Classification (NOC) categories 0, 1, 2, or 3.
  • Language Skills: You have to take a language test in either English or French and score at least Canadian Language Benchmark Level 7 (CLB 7). Higher scores increase your chances.
  • Education: You should have finished at least Canadian high school education. If you studied outside Canada, you’ll need an Educational Credentials Assessment (ECA) to show how your education compares to Canadian standards.
  • Points Grid: You must score at least 67 out of 100 points on the FSW points grid.
  • Settlement Funds: You need enough money to support yourself in Canada.

If you meet these requirements, you can submit an Express Entry profile. But remember, meeting these doesn’t guarantee you’ll get invited to apply for Canadian permanent residence. The selection process is competitive, and only the highest-scoring candidates will be invited to apply.

Federal Skilled Worker Points require:  To qualify for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you must get at least 67 out of 100 points on this grid. Keep in mind, this scoring system is different from the one used to rank Express Entry profiles.

In the Federal Skilled Worker Program, there are six things they look at to decide if you can come to Canada. 

  • language: 28 points
  • Education: 25 points
  • Work experience: 15 points
  • Age: 12 points.
  • Job : 10 points 
  • Adaptability: 10 points

Check Your Qualification for FSW:

To see if you might qualify for Canada’s Federal Skilled Worker Program, visit our Express Entry CRS Calculator. Discover your suitability for all three federal economic immigration programs managed within the Express Entry system. Also, you’ll get an estimate of your CRS score and how competitive you are in Express Entry.

Settlement Funds for Federal Skilled Worker Program

Candidates in the Federal Skilled Worker Program who don’t have a job offer need to show they have enough money for settling in Canada when they join the Express Entry pool. They must prove this when they apply for permanent residency.

Family Members

Required Funds (CAD)

1 (single)















+ $3,706

These funds need to be ready to use and not tied up by debts or other things owed. You must have enough settlement funds when you apply and when you get your permanent resident visa.

Who does Canada need for skilled work?

Canada wants skilled workers from different backgrounds. This includes people who have worked in any skilled job (TEER 0, 1, 2, or 3).

What kinds of jobs are in the Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program?

There are lots of different skilled jobs in Canada.

  • TEER 0 (zero): Boss jobs like restaurant bosses, store bosses, and bosses in food and hotel businesses.
  • TEER 1: Fancy jobs that need a university degree, like IT, engineering, law, and more.
  • TEER 2: Jobs needing a college diploma, training for a couple of years, or supervising others, like web techs and medical lab techs.
  • TEER 3: Jobs needing a college diploma, shorter training, or a good chunk of on-the-job learning.

Here’s how to apply for FSW, step by step:

  • Step 1: Check if you’re eligible. 
  • Step 2: Gather the documents you need.
  • Step 3: Make a profile on the IRCC website
  • Step 4: Make your profile better and get a higher ranking
  • Step 5: Get invited to apply
  • Step 6: Visit the doctor and fill out an online form. 
  • Step 7: A Canadian immigration officer reviews your online form and lets you know if more information is needed.
  • Step 8: Get confirmation of permanent residency.
  • Step 9: Get your PR card.

No, you don’t need a job offer to join the FSW program, but having one can give you more points to qualify.

Yes, you can include your spouse or common-law partner in an FSW application. If they have good English or French language skills, you can get more points.

No, there’s no age limit for the FSW program, but if you’re older, you’ll get fewer points for your age. You’ll need to do better in other areas to qualify.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *